November 13, 2017
HAWAII ECOTOURISM ASSOCIATION AWARDS TRILOGY EXCURSIONS AS “SUSTAINABLE TOUR OPERATOR OF THE YEAR” AND RECOGNIZES 17 CERTIFIED SUSTAINABLE TOUR OPERATORS
HAWAI‘I – The Hawaii Ecotourism Association (HEA) today awarded the 2017 Sustainable Tour Operator of the Year to Trilogy Excursions on Maui. Megan, a guide at Trilogy Excursions also received an award, winning EcoTour Guide of The Year for Maui. Trilogy Excursions, who runs sailing, snorkel, and whale watching tours on Maui, received the award for its ongoing efforts in supporting the principles of sustainable tourism and promoting practices and programs that enhance the local community and environment. Some of these practices include:
- Becoming the first company to retrofit its vessels to pump out waste at onshore facilities [instead of in the open ocean];
- Launching the successful Blue ‘Aina Reef Cleanup Campaign. Since its inception in 2010, the Blue ‘Aina program has conducted 123 reef cleanups along Maui’s coastline, educated the public, and supported numerous ocean-based nonprofits.
- Converting Trilogy V to run completely on biodiesel;
- Undertaking extensive staff trainings and ongoing staff development to ensure high-quality and accurate tours;
- Supporting environmental initiatives that include the elimination of single-use plastics on all vessels, outfitting all vessels with reef friendly sunscreen, and supporting the establishment and ongoing maintenance of a day-use mooring system on Maui.
“We congratulate and applaud Trilogy Excursions on their commitment to providing sustainable tours to better serve our tourism industry,” said Aaron J. Lowe, President of HEA.
HEA developed Hawaii’s only ecotourism certification program to help educate tour operators on the importance of using natural cultural resources, promote sustainable practices, and raise awareness among visitors, residents, and businesses in Hawaii. HEA has certified more than 45 tour operators throughout Hawaii.
“We’ve built sustainability into our tours; giving back to the community and preserving our environment have been an important part of our company and how we operate for over 45 years,” said LiAnne Driessen, Director of Marketing , Sales, and Media Relations at Trilogy Excursions.
Megan, a guide at Trilogy Excursions also received an award, winning EcoTour Guide of The Year for Maui.
In addition to awarding Trilogy Excursions as the 2017 Sustainable Tour Operator of the Year, HEA also recognized newly certified and recertified operators.
Newly Certified Sustainable Tour Operators:
- Holokino Hawaii Tours [Oahu]
Recertified Sustainable Tour Operators:
- Fair Wind Cruises
- Hawaii Forest & Trail
- Kohala Zipline
- KapohoKine Adventures
- Atlantis Adventures
- Maui Kayak Adventures
- Hawaiian Paddle Sports
- Pacific Whale Foundation
- Kualoa Ranch
- Kailua Beach Adventures
- Hawaiian Legacy Tours
- Pacific Islands Institute
- Holokai Snorkel and Kayak Adventure
Pending Final Evaluation – Certified Sustainable Tour Operators
- Hoku Hawaii Tours
- Coral Crater Adventure Park
To be considered for the Sustainable Tour Operator certification, companies are assessed based on the following requirements:
- Step 1: Self-Evaluation: Applications must complete and submit a self-assessment checklist, which evaluates their operating principles. Submissions include an administration fee of $200 and supporting document for review.
- Step 2: Third Party Evaluation: An HEA evaluator contacts the applicant to review the checklist and schedule an in-person evaluation. The evaluator participates in a tour to verify components of the self-assessment checklist, and rates the applicant on various operating principles.
- Step 3: Reporting & Certification: The HEA evaluator submit their findings and all supporting documents to HEA for final approval. If certified, HEA award certification status, and tour operators are recognized at the HEA Annual Luncheon.
About Hawaii Ecotourism Association
Since 1994, HEA has been committed to helping better Hawaii’s travel industry through promoting responsible ecotourism travel and educational tours to conserving the natural and cultural resources in Hawaii. HEA is composed of tour and lodging operators, travel writers, and community organizations. For more information, visit www.hawaiiecotourism.org.
Hawaii Ecotourism Association,